ISO 20121:2012 – Event sustainability management systems
ISO 20121 is a management system standard that has been designed to help organizations in the events industry improve the sustainability of their event related activities, products and services.
ISO 20121 is based on the earlier British Standard called ‘BS 8901 Specification for a Sustainability Management System for Events’ which was first developed in 2007. Due to the high level interest in BS 8901, it was decided to create an international version of the standard.
In simple terms, ISO 20121 describes the building blocks of a management system that will help any event related organization to:
- Continue to be financially successful
- Become more socially responsible
- Reduce its environmental footprint
ISO 20121 applies to all types and sizes of organization involved in the events industry – from caterers, lighting and sound engineers, security companies, stage builders and venues to independent event organizers and corporate and public sector event teams.
Organizations that successfully implement the standard will be able to seek independent recognition of their achievement through a process called ‘Certification’.
- Clarity of purpose and strategy resulting in a more energized and aligned workforce
- More integrated management and joined up thinking resulting in improved efficiencies and stronger teamwork
- Simpler, clearer and more effective systems and processes
- Boost employee motivation, attract best talent and improve retention
- Enhance reputation and strengthen relationships with key clients, suppliers, partners and other external stakeholders who hold similar values
- Achieve costs savings with respect to material consumption, waste and energy
- Reduce carbon emissions over the entire event supply chain
- Strengthen the position of the organization within the community