ISO 50001 Energy Management System
ISO 50001 is the new international energy management system (EnMS) standard. ISO 50001 has been designed for implementation by any organization irrespective of size, sector or geographical location.
Management Systems provide continuous improvement in the fields of Quality, Environment and Safety. This concept has now been applied to improve energy use. ISO 50001 is the new global standard for Energy Management with requirements for
- Establishing an energy policy with concrete objectives to improve energy efficiency;
- Setting a baseline of energy uses, identifying critical areas and understanding influential elements on energy use;
- Maintaining a periodic forecast of energy use, allowing visibility to plan investments and improvements;
- Considering energy consumption in the decision process for design and procurement of all equipment, raw materials or services.
ISO 50001 can be easily integrated into existing Quality, Safety and/or Environment Management Systems, for all types of organizations aiming to monitor and improve their energy efficiency. Several management systems can be audited during the same audit, optimizing costs.
- Costs cut through increased efficiency thereby delivering competitive advantage
- Energy security risks reduced through improved energy performance
- Increased stakeholder confidence and employee engagement due to organizational commitment to integrated climate change emissions reduction strategy
- Productivity compliance improved
- Policies formalized